ShredIt for Windows Specifications:
- shred a File or Folder
- shred Disk Free Space
- shred data already deleted
- shred an internal Hard Drive or an external Hard Drive
Use ShredIt to:
- Shred confidential files on an ongoing basis
- Erase a hard drive so the data can’t be recovered before selling or giving away a computer
(The terms “Shred”, “Wipe”, “Erase” and “Clean” are all used to mean “Secure Delete” – delete data so that it can’t be recovered.)
Use ShredIt the way you’re most comfortable:
- “Drag and drop”
- “Select from menu”
- Use the buttons -ShredIt Safety
Since there is no way to recover an item that is accidentally shredded, ShredIt comes with built-in safety features, including:
- The “Confirm before Shred” feature. By setting confirmation on, you give yourself an opportunity to cancel shredding of an item.
- The “Safe Place” feature. If you have items you want to protect from accidentally shredding, put them in a Safe Place Folder. Anything stored in a Safe Place Folder cannot be shredded.
- The “Don’t panic” disk wipe feature. Dropping a disk on ShredIt, will only wipe the free space, not your data. We’ve made it easy to wipe the free space of a disk and more difficult to shred the contents of a disk. This is intentional, so that you don’t accidentally shred the contents of a disk (i.e. your data).
- Comprehensive documentation. Clearly written, step-by-step instructions are provided, ensuring you know exactly how to use each feature.
Optional compliance with electronic shredding standards:
- US Department of Defense (DoD 5220)
- US Department of Energy (DoE)
(3 passes: 2 passes of pseudo-random, 3rd pass character picked from DoE menu in the preferences)
For more information, read the policy
[DOE M 205.1-2, ATTACHMENT 4, Overwriting]
A configurable overwrite pattern and number of overwrites.
ShredIt for Windows will run on all of the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 98
- Windows 2000 and later
- Windows ME Windows NT 4 and later
- Windows XP
- Windows Vista
- Windows 7
- Windows 8.x
- Windows 10